Sunday, 9 July 2017

... or the same

Lazy Sunday morning, It is a warm day but I am determined to bake sourdough bread this weekend having missed out in the last few weeks due to other commitments. Case study handed in, report for my trainee completed, this weekend felt "free". Friday I made some baked onion bhajis and sue and I had them with salad in wraps. Sue loved them, I thought they were okay. Deep fried still taste best and so much better than most restaurant or take away ones. I think I prefer them that way as an occasional treat. But will continue to experiment. Made my usual tarka dal this week, minus the garam masala, finishing the last few drops on Saturday. Need a new recipe to try next week.

#EatYourGreens is calling hosted by Veg Hog. I have decided to bake another handvo which went down well with my work colleagues and none went to waste. I stick with the same basic recipe - brown basmati and chana dal.  Reading on the net there are a myriad of rice and lentil batters made from grinding soaked rice and dal or using flour and a wide choice of veg used. Veg-wise I used a courgette, spinach, coriander leaf and some fenugreek along with red onion. I use the nutribullet this time which left a smooth batter and I left it to ferment overnight. Still unsure about this stage as I cannot see much evidence of fermentation. I may try the coconut yoghurt next time. And there will be a next time as I love this stuff and just want to try out my own combinations.


Meets the brief regarding green seasonal veg! The methi was a sorry bunch but it was all I could find. Yesterday, I went to the market place and my favourite Middle Eastern shop and stocked up on spices and lentils. Curry leaves were replenished. Tried to find kokum ( dried mangosteen) without success. One vendor got excited saying she had it in powdered form and went to find it bringing me back mango powder (amchoor) instead. I bought it anyway. 


I served it with a basic coriander chutney, still experimenting with recipes, and a fine plum chutney that I improvised last weekend. 


5 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks really good. Def. got room in my belly for Methi Handvo. Thanks also for sharing with EatYourGreens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when weekends feel free. Spending time in the kitchen is a great way to make the most of such times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree Kari. Parkrun on a Saturday morning. Sourdough bread making on Sunday morning, new recipes and time to read cookbooks and shop at the market. Nice.

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much for sharing with Eat Your Greens! That looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🙂 Still needs some refinement over the fermentation stage but it tastes great and work colleagues have loved it.

      Delete